Thursday 10 November 2011

All feedback is good, but could you include these things?


As I was preparing my book excerpt to be reviewed by a few peers, I realized I needed to give guidance on the feedback I wanted to receive. All feedback is good, however, I don't want to miss certain aspects.


Overall, I'm looking for feedback from a reader's perspective versus a content expert's. The content is built from my experiences of 'making change,' so I expect others will have different experiences and views - no issue. What is far more helpful is feedback on how people take in the book. Specifically, its utility and style: "Is it valuable?" and "Is it interesting?" I am also looking for feedback on how the book is constructed. Finally, I'm curious about what I should call the creation. What title will speak to the reader when looking for a practical change management book? 


Here are the questions I included with my book excerpt:


Introduction
  • Does it effectively convey the reader's challenge?
  • Does it effectively outline the format of the book?
  • Does it make you want to read on?
Table of Contents (each question  is a chapter)
  • Does the order of the questions look right?
  • Have I missed any essential questions? If so, which ones?
  • Too much, too little, just right?
Six sample Questions
  • How useful is the information?
  • Is the style engaging, boring, etc.?
  • Does the format help or hinder the time-starved reader in finding the information needed?
Possible Title Options
  • Rank order the top three options, including any you can suggest
  • How much do you like your top choice?
Possible Sub-title/Tag Line Options
  • Rank order the top three options, including any you can suggest
  • How much do you like your top choice?



You may be thinking what I am thinking: I am hugely indebted to my feedback providers for taking the time to review my material and give me this feedback. I will appreciate every comment. 

Hmmm, maybe I should have asked one more question: "What do you think about the number of feedback questions - too much, too little, just right?

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment