Friday 15 March 2013

When the Big Day Finally Arrives

Like most big events in our lives, we think more about planning them than what we will do when they arrive. They can seem like surreal experiences where the elements are known but how they play out are not. This is how I felt when I received my first hard copy of Change with Confidence

A thoughtful Editorial Assistant at Wiley had sent me an email saying that the first copy had shown up on his desk and that he was couriering it to me. I was on assignment in New Jersey, which meant it would arrive home twenty-four hours before I did. 


The package was waiting for me on our front table as I opened the door. I maneuvered around it as a golfer does when sizing up a putt: I needed to study it before moving into action. It was late, dark and I was exhausted, so I decided to wait until the morning for the big moment. I didn't want to compromise something that I had waited for so long to arrive. 

I am glad I did. The sun was shining and the promise of a new day matched my excitement. Without hesitation, I opened the package. It was an incredible feeling to hold my book in my hands. Barb was there too, which made it more special. 

Like a new parent who points out that their baby has ten fingers and ten toes, I said things like, "Look it's the cover...and look, it's the table of contents..., and the back cover, too."  After scanning the pages I flipped them like a deck of cards and even smelled themthey smelled like paperit was a sensory experience

The cover blew me away the most. It is striking in person, especially the tones of blue. E-books are convenient and portable, but they can't beat the physical beauty of a hardcover book.

Last Sunday, my dad said he wanted to buy the first copy of Change with Confidence. I can't wait to give it to him. Phil

10 comments:

  1. What an awesome feeling that must be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana. I still find myself picking up a copy. Thanks for your support. Phil

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Phil! I can't wait to buy my copy. I hope you will autograph it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, thank you very much. It would be an honour to autograph your copy! I hope we see each other soon. Phil

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Phil on your first publication, I can't wait to read it. What's the best way for me to get hold of a copy in the UK, can I get it on Amazon? I'm sure it will be a success. Unlike some business book writers, I have total confidence (having worked together on a major global change programme some years ago) that you really know what you're talking about. Fantastic that you've decided to share your knowledge and experience with the rest of us. Methinks I will soon be 'borrowing with pride.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard. Thank you for your kind note. Change with Confidence is available on amazon.co.uk and other UK-based online retailers for pre-order; shipping begins on 23rd April. Amazon.com and Amazon.ca are shipping now. I hope you like the book, which contains some stories we lived together. All the best. Phil

      Delete
  4. Phil: congrats! I am sorry to be unavailable for your launch, but I would appreciate having a signed copy for the hard-cover I will purchase . . . perhaps we can meet for a coffee and a catch up soon. Would love to learn more about the process / journey you went through to write and publish. Michael Mattalo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, thanks for your note. It would be great to get together when you are back in town for a coffee. The experience has been amazing and I have taken lots of notes. Safe travels. Phil

      Delete
  5. This is so exciting! Too bad I can't be at the launch, I'm sure it'll be another amazing experience. Papa will be so proud to get the very first book! And we told you the cover looks awesome! Congrats, Unc Phil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, thanks very much for your congratulations. It would have been great to see you at the launch. Papa liked his copy but asked why his name was not on the front cover!It was a big moment. I hope to see you soon! Unc Phil

      Delete