Marshall was sharing concepts from his latest book, What Got You Here Won't Get You There. I like the title, which reminds me of the saying, "If you keep doing the same things you will get the same results"; you need new thinking, actions and behaviours to get to the next level.
|I'm In Very Good Company|
Here is what I learned from his presentation style:
- Laugh at your jokes, it makes them funnier
- Engage attendees in an activity every 20 minutes, even if it is a group of over 150 people!
- Illustrate points with as many personal life examples as professional ones
- Be generous ̶ it shows
- Invite people to choose one idea they believe will help them and reinforce the need to do it to get the benefit
- Leave the audience with three key messages
After Marshall's talk, I approached him and thanked him for his advice. I asked him if anyone had come up to him after a talk to offer their help to him with no strings attached. Marshall said he would have to think about that but he didn't think so. That was my one idea from his session and I am now sending him an email with my offer of help. No strings attached.