Friday 1 February 2013

Ten Things I Didn't Know About Great Publicists


This week I met my publicist team members at their office in Manhattan. It was a great experience. Even getting there was an adventure: a 4:45 a.m. taxi ride to the Toronto airport, a 6:30 a.m. flight to Newark, an 8:30 a.m. train to Penn Station, and a 9:15 a.m. taxi ride to Mid-town East. I stood at the corner of 57th Street East and 2nd Avenue feeling like I belonged there.

It was good to meet David, whom I had spoken with by phone. I also met Steve and Eric who had complimentary areas of expertise. Our ninety-minute meeting flew by. We talked about my goals, their impressions of my book, strategies and possible tactics, and how they would partner with the Wiley publicist team. We also talked about the publishing industry and the changes it is going through. I couldn't help becoming absorbed in the discussion, forgetting for a few minutes the purpose of our meeting.

I left the meeting refreshed and a lot more knowledgeable  about publicity and what the team will do for Change with Confidence and me. Here are the ten things I didn't know about great publicists. They:
  1. Come highly recommended
  2. Work in teams
  3. Ask for and listen to your goals
  4. Read your book before writing a proposal
  5. Are realistic about expectations
  6. Are honest about what benefits should not be focused on
  7. Are well connected
  8. Provide advice on areas beyond publicity
  9. Call in personal favours on your behalf
  10. Are confident in their abilities

Most experiences are better when shared. This is true of my trip. My friend Peter made the journey with me before we both headed to New Jersey to work through the night on a consulting assignment. As we boarded the train back to Newark I thought to myself, "I'm in good hands."

Phil

2 comments:

  1. Great update Phil! Glad to hear that things are coming together. A great publicist is so important when promoting and selling your book. Good Luck!

    David N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David. The Media Connect team has broadened my perspective on how to promote and sell my book. It is great knowing they are in my corner. All the best. Phil

    ReplyDelete