Friday 20 May 2011

So, what does success look like?

Decide to write a book...check...tell all your family, friends and colleagues...check...start thinking about what the book will look like and list possible titles...check...dream about success...check...launch a blog about writing the book...check. Wait a minute, wouldn't it be a good idea to decide what I want to acheive before I start achieving it? Sounds good to me.

Defining goals and outcomes seem so much easier for things you have done before. There's a lot to be said for trial and error. After a few drafts, here are my aspirations as I see them today:

- create a resource that people find relevant, practical and helpful
- capture practical lessons learned that often decide success or failure
- appeal to all four learning styles - don't limit my style to what I like to read
- adopt a writing voice that is true to me - would someone who knows me say, "That's Phil"?
- be passionate and courageous

...check.

Phil

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see it come together! Good luck on your new adventure Phil. Hope all is well with you, Barb and the boys in Toronto. All the best, Murray

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I'm reminded of Tony Robbins' "Ultimate Success Formula":
    1. Know your outcome (check!)
    2. Know the reasons why this is a 'must' for you
    3. Keep track of your progress;
    4. If something's not working, change your approach.

    And might I add, enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading your Friday updates! It's a great project and a great adventure. I hope you enjoy every minute. Best of luck along the way, Tim

    ReplyDelete