Friday 27 January 2012

Did I tell you about the time I caught the Dali Lama as he stumbled on a plane?

I realized last week that the book I set out to write is not exactly going to be the book I will complete. And thank goodness for that. My first draft was focused on getting the content right and organizing it in a way that readers could easily navigate. I was determined to capture every lesson learned and successful approach tried so whatever a change leader could face would be addressed. 


My editor, Ken, says there's the book you intend to write and the book that it could be. The book I had written was technically sound but wasn't very interesting to read. Why couldn't my book do both? My first step is to include amusing stories that happened while being on change assignments. The ones I love to tell and people enjoy. Change is about people and not including the lighter side of being on change projects is a miss. Friends have suggested this from day-one, and so has Ken, but not until now have I understood the importance of doing so. 


I see these stories (and pictures) being displayed in sidebar boxes. Not too many; just enough to make it interesting. I am excited about the possibilities. I may even be writing a book I would be interested in reading. So, did I tell you about the time I caught the Dali Lama as he stumbled on a plane? 


Phil

4 comments:

  1. Mairin and Darren, thanks for your interest. The story includes 8 Tibetan monks, 2 secret servicemen, 1 overzealous fan, and 1 upgrade to first class. I'm writing it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since party planning is your new-found passion you have to be careful while
    selecting the right marketplace. Can you tell us a little about history.
    Internet market usually includes advertising websites and products ordered over the internet,
    its a different business. When Frank talks about Student Loans, I would say that the pipeline that we currently have and the net
    new clients that we don't want them.

    my web site; Student Loans for People with Bad Credit

    ReplyDelete